Sunday, July 21, 2013

Istanbul from the Water

I went down the ferry docks today to see if I could find a way to see Istanbul from the water.  There were many,  many companies running tours. I chose the economical six dollar Canadian, two hour tour (the 8 dollar tour was a three hour tour and we all know that's bad luck). Plus for six bucks -unless I had to dog paddle back -how could I go wrong?
I was not prepared for Mahmet the CAPITAN of the ship.  He stayed with me like a dog on a bone. His english was not so good but he clearly indicated he wanted to "go to fish restaurant "with me because he "love Australia".  Not sure if he had not heard of Canada or he just could not understand my accent....but Australian I became.  At one point as we were clipping desperately close to shore I suggested he go drive the boat but Mahmet faithfully did not budge from my side.
I read once that when the bible was translated to English , a hundred different words with slightly different meanings were simply translated as love. I wonder if the same has occurred for the word "no". If so I would like to learn the other versions here. No does not mean no , it means keep trying :)  Maybe she'll crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment