Friday, July 19, 2013

I arrived in my hotel room around 3:40pm. I had not slept for 34 hours . On the plane I thought the guy beside was smelling a little ripe but it turns out it was me not him. So my plan was to have a quick shower and then have a short nap before hitting the city. I had just showered when it occurred to me that the call to prayer (which happens three times a day ) might shortly happen.  I had no idea what the "call" would sound like. You can imagine as I was lying in bed with my window open (don't worry mom I am not on the ground floor) almost everything sounded like a call.  First there was someone ringing a hand held bell. I thought that was it.  Then there was a man walking down the street  making a sound I can only describe as the bleating of a sheep.  He would take about six steps , throw his head back and bleat.  Turns out he was just a man walking  down the road periodically bleating. I heard the real deal later. I recorded it but am struggling to get it posted from my phone. I will keep trying.
I am in a trendy little area full of cafe's , restaurants and men who accost you if you make eye contact. Working on keeping my eyes down.

1 comment: