Monday, August 5, 2013

The Bubble Bus Becomes the Geriatric Bus

My tour through Turkey is actually two tours linked together.  Western Turkey was the first part, eastern  Turkey is the second part.  So I am actually traveling with two   separate groups. The first group was young but had clearly been coddled by their parents and most of them seemed to be diagnosed and labeled with some sort of deficiency - mostly allergies but some were just helpless and painful.  (Monali and Cynthia I am not talking about you -you two are normal.  I am even willing to put that in print -and there is your shout out!!!)  But they were fun.  
Apparently Western  Turkey attracts the young who want to party along the Mediterranean.  The east attracts the old who are interested in history.  As Mete put it today, I must "weird" (is that the right word Ann?) compared to  people my age because I like to party and I like history. I am one of the few on the bus not wearing compression socks,  hearing aids or those special black shoes with the super thick soles that seem to be so popular at the old age homes.  I can carry my own luggage without assistance or without blowing out a hip.  There are two people on the bus close to my age. One is a germophobe who is constantly spraying and wiping and freaking out.  Her bag is packed with drugs and ointments and antibiotics. I think she sees microbes.  The other is a teacher. All the teacher wants to do is talk about work.  I have imposed a tax system on her.  Everytime she talks about school she owes me a beer. It's been two days. She owes me 9 beers.  
All the woman on the bus are old and crotchety and they complain a lot  and the men are deaf (which I suppose is why the are still Married).
Clearly I traded in the bubble bus for the geriatric bus.


Sent from Samsung Mobile

1 comment:

  1. You aren't really that young either. You just look it. And maybe act it. : )

    ReplyDelete