Thursday, August 8, 2013

Cultural Differences

I was checking out a bridge built by the Roman's that is still in use.  It is in such excellent shape it is hard to believe it's 2000yrs.  old. 
When I was done talking pics a man came up and asked if I would  to ride a donkey to the top of mount  Nemrut
 I said yes.  He asked if  I would like a white donkey.  I said yes  to that too, who doesn't want to ride a white donkey up a mountain? Plus he said I could keep it, which was simply too generous so I planned on giving it back.  My response made him very happy and he clapped his hands and said "when you come down  we will have a big feast in my village ".  I said yes to that too.  He skipped off  to his group of friends ever so happy.
Not too  long later our guide Mete came to see me,  laughing so hard and pointing at  me that he had trouble explaining to me.  Apparently by agreeing to ride a white donkey up the mountain I was agreeing to marry him.  And the village feast was my wedding feast. And even worse,  in the end my dad gets the donkey, not me.
Mete went bananas at the idea of the donkey being in Canada with  my dad and me stuck  here in a little village, donkeyless.


Sent from Samsung Mobile

1 comment:

  1. It's about time you got married. Congratulations. We'll send your bike.

    ReplyDelete